Wednesday, September 13, 2006

One Blind Date Of A Lifetime

I think one blind date per lifetime is enough for any person. Let me tell you about mine.


I was young, like 20 or something, and agreed to go to an unnamed college in southwest VA to attend their winter formal with a friend of my friend's boyfriend. Basically, she needed someone to go with her on the ride and I guess she and her boyfriend thought it would be fun for a group of us to go. I was set to go with NotLasagna (will explain later) yet before I agreed to go, I made my friend email a less than attractive photo of me to the guy so I wouldn't show up and he'd vomit in the corner or something. My self-confidence wavered a bit just because of the title "Blind Date" so I just wanted us both to be prepared and less 'blind'. I also agreed to go because my friend promised me there would be a lot of drinking and, since I was underage, this was exciting for me.

So we finally show up after a forever long ride that included us being run off the highway and come into the guys' suite to drop our stuff off and get ready for the dance. I'm pretty sure my date and I didn't say much more than, "Nice to meet you" when introduced. It was beyond painful and the 20 year old NotCarrie was a lot more shy than the one of today. And, I hate to admit it, but he was kind of cute and I couldn't help but daydream about us having quite the attraction and ending up smitten with each other.

First we went out to dinner and that is when I knew I was going to be left out of the smittenness. Why, you may ask? Oh, because NotLasagna's ex-girlfriend was there and seemed to be the only person he could and wanted to see. I felt like an idiot sitting there at the group table with everyone while my date was off making up with his ex. Oh yes, MAKING UP WITH HER. My friend and her boyfriend were pissed and apologized to me for the situation. My friend joked, "At least you're getting a free meal? haha" so I made sure that was the best lasagna ever and yes, that's how he got his name. NotLasagna was only good for that-lasagna, which he grudgingly paid for.

As bad as dinner was, we still hadn't even gotten to the dance which was our main reason for going down there. He and I danced maybe once and the rest of the time he was with his girlfriend. You read correctly, NotLasagna by then had completely gotten back together with the ex yet was still my date and 'obligated' to be around me some. So I was slightly miserable and trying not to let it show since my friend was having a great time with her boyfriend. Oh and the alcohol? We never got to that part because my friend drank too much at the dance (where I couldn't get anything) and ended up being sick.

We stayed the next day and night too, attending the football game and hanging around the dorm. I didn't talk to NotLasagna at all which really wasn't a loss (except for maybe him.) And tailgating? That didn't happen either.

So basically, I spent my weekend NOT getting drunk and having a horrible blind date. Not a recommended way to spend one's time. But, hey, at least I got a story out of it, right?

14 comments:

Ashburnite said...

ouch....I've had some shitty dates, but none that I had to drive a few hours for. But I have had a "date" get back together with his ex during the date.

BabsieD said...

Oh. My. God.

I have a friend who, on his first date with a set up, went bike riding, except he swallowed a bee and she had to take him to the hospital after he started swelling up and looking like he had elephantits.

But you still win.

Anonymous said...

I've heard way too many horror stories about blind dates to even consider it.. plus I really need to see the person (even if it's just a pic)and communicate with them before deciding if we should go out...
blind daters = brave people

jo said...

i can't believe that your blind date got back with his ex gf during your date. well i suppose at least he was nice enough to stick around instead of just running off with her. i've had a couple of blind dates in my lifetime but i usually try and make 'em as casual as possible. the first one was a lil stressful though... hmm maybe i should blog bout it soon...

mean girls said...

Well, look at it this way, they should have both been grateful for your "blind date" because it got them back together. Somewhere out there that karma will come back and be in your favor!

~Maggie

Chuckles said...

Ooof.

That is pretty damn low on the scale of crap. That's like an episode of Blind Date.

Shannon said...

What a crapass blind date!!!

I find it hysterical that you named the guy NotLasagna, lol.

The name reminded me of a blind date I went on. He brought me to an Italian restaurant and he was on a diet! He wasn't fat, but felt the need to lose some weight.

The meal he ordered came with 2 meatballs. I just remember cringing when he told the waiter what he wanted and to hold one of the meatballs.....

Needless to say we never had a second date.

Dan said...

But what about NotLasagna's ex's date? Wouldn't that have meant that there was some guy there that was free?

Senor Beavis said...

Who are you to get in the way of fate, right? Just happened to be at an inconvenient time for you.

Never been on a blind date, but you did remind me of a similar story. A couple years ago, I went to a college formal as a favor to a friend. Her roommate's boyfriend refused to go and the roommate (a senior), who I'd once gone on a date with and we were friendly, needed a date. So I was the date of a woman who actually had a boyfriend. I went with the goal of looking for a former Starbucks customer who I'd had a crush on (she was also a senior).

Naturally, I get hit with a migraine right when I walk into the Field Museum and buses weren't returning for hours. Never found the Starbucks customer. Spend much of the evening searching for a mysterious ridiculously hot woman in an orange dress, who I guess decided to take pity on me and dance with me, then ran off. Unlike Cinderella, I did find her, but she was making out and later leaving with presumeably her boyfriend. Also, I learned the Field Museum kinda sucks.

The moral of the story: 26 is too old to go to a college formal. :)

NotCarrie said...

Dan- Good point, but remember, I was pretty shy back then. It took a lot of convincing and promise of alcohol to get me to agree to the blind date at all. Once it went south I was ready to go home. It would be a different story now...

Unknown said...

i married my blind date! there is some good that coems out of some! : )
but i'm with you, at least you got a story out of it!

Anonymous said...

What a little shit.

What I'd like to know is how many people end up realy *dating* the blind dates they get fixed up with?

That would be a big fat ZERO, for me.

Anonymous said...

Ha. Didn't see style girl's answer.

Still a no for me, though!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, poor you.

I once went on a blind date and when we got back to my flat he said, "I just have to go to the bathroom to wash my feet in your shower if that's ok"

Obviously he left five minutes later. On my initiative.