Friday, June 30, 2006

Can't Romance On Demand

Lately I've fallen into this weird, "I need a boyfriend" mindset where every situation seems like it would be better if I had one. I've never been like that but I think I got caught up in mixing up "needing" and "wanting". I think it's fine to want a significant other but needing one? The only things I need are food, water, shelter, and maybe chapstick.) (Back the basics, eh?)

So in honor of this, and since summer is the perfect time for cheesy pop songs, I bring to your attention Natasha Bedingfield's current hit, "Single":


I'm not waitin' around for a man to save me
(Cos I'm happy where I am)
Don't depend on a guy to validate me
(No no)
I don't need to be anyone's baby
(Is that so hard to understand?)
No I don't need another half to make me whole

Make your move if you want doesn't mean I will or won't
I'm free to make my mind up you either got it or you don't

[Chorus:]
This is my current single status
My declaration of independence
There's no way I'm tradin' places
Right now a star's in the ascendant

I'm single
(Right now)
That's how I wanna be
I'm single
(Right now)
That's how I wanna be

Ah yeah Uh Huh that's right

Don't need to be on somebody's arm to look good
(I like who I am)
I'm not saying I don't wanna fall in love 'cos I would
I'm not gonna get hooked up just 'cos you say I should
(Can't romance on demand)
I'm gonna wait so I'm sorry if you misunderstood


Everything in it's right time everything in it's right place
I know I'll settle down one day
But 'til then I like it this way it's my way
Eh I like it this way

Make your move if you want doesn't mean I will or won't
I'm free to make my mind up you either got it or you don't
'Til then I'm single

This is my current single status
My declaration of independence
There's no way I'm tradin' places
Right now a star's in the ascendant



I love the, "I'm single (Right now)" part, haha.

8 comments:

Chuckles said...

How many of your friends are getting married? That is really starting to bug me. Most of my college friends are married or engaged now. 66% of my brothers are also.

For all those people that married their college boyfriends or girlfriends: Bite me, cheaters. You don't have a clue what life is like out here.

Not that I am bitter or anything.

DCVita said...

Sometimes I am torn between the two. I love being single 90% of the time. You really get to do whatever you want to do with no limitations. But then the other 10% of the time, I want to be snuggled up to someone while it is raining or going to a romantic dinner staring into each other's eyes. It is an inherent need to be wanted...right?

Lindsey said...

yeah, she performed this on So You Think You Can Dance last night. It's nice to have a little girl power. I've been having the same feeling as you. :o(

Jordan said...

It totally changes for me.. sometimes it's a 50/50... sometimes a 90/10... definitely sometimes a 0/100! Single/Committed. Right now I'm at a 10/90. :-)

Clueless said...

hah, I'd settle for just a little bit of attention! We all thrive on attention :) can't deny it.

team gingerbread said...

I've been longing for a relationship myself lately, although I hate to admit it.

For me, it's just because my last relationship was long enough ago that I've miraculously forgotten all the bad things about him, and selectively remember the good

Virginia Belle said...

chuckles nailed it on the head. it makes me wish i had dated more in college. (i was too busy going back for seconds at the buffet of cute frat boys.)

take it from me: being single is WAAAAAY better than having an asshole for a boyfriend.

which is what my problem is right now.

trust me, trust me, trust me. nothing is more painful than realizing unrequited love. i'd rather be single.

soon, i might be.

because i'm sick of crying and hurting. i have been crying for 8 days straight now. this shit's getting old.

NotCarrie said...

I totally agree that going out with an asshole isn't worth it. I think that's why my significant others levels are so low-I've got high standards!

I hope your situation gets better...