Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Together Is Enough

So my job has weekly staff meetings that NotMiranda calls, "Touchy Feely Meetings" because we do these workshops on things like leadership qualities and how to be a team player. Usually I am paying more attention to keeping my eyes open than on the lesson but every once and awhile something gets through to my brain. Today it was when the speaker on the video said that "in great relationships, the joy of being together is enough." Now, don't go crazy on me because you have to take these statements with a grain of salt. There will always be extraneous factors to nullify this statement. For example, if he's cheating on me then being together isn't really enough, right? I'm going to want to kick him in the face instead. Or, if he's stealing my money then hanging out is not going to be high on my list of things to do.

But taken simplistically, I really like this statement and even found myself relating to it. When I wrote about cheating on a crush I mentioned that there are only two people I would even consider to be in that highest level of crushes. Well, during my meeting I realized that both of them could also help prove the statement about great relationships. Even on our just friends levels, both of those guys are people I just wanted to be around and enjoyed spending time with. With them I am content to just sit there and honestly just want to be near them. Not in a needy, weird way but in an honest-to-goodness, 'I enjoy you as a person' way. It makes me happy to enjoy people just for who they are and not for how they are entertaining me or necessarily how we are interacting (even if, at the time I wish it was snogging).

I hope that future relationships arise from friendships like these. It's a sweet thing to just want to be with someone.

7 comments:

NotMiranda said...

Wow...this post immediately bummed me out in much the same way that Howie Day song does.

NotCarrie said...

WHY did it bum you out?!?!!? I meant it as cheerful:(

NotMiranda said...

It was very, very sweet. I've got female friends in my life like that, but your post took me to a place where I remembered the men in my life like that. They're no longer there, and this gave me that Howie Day moment.

NotCarrie said...

Oh, ok. I'm sorry, boo.

NotCarrie said...

You have no idea what that stupid song means to me...

jo said...

gosh i love that song. it's one of those songs that kill me 'coz it's so sweet.

but yeah i know what you mean bout just being together with some people is enough. unfortunately that someone doesn't see the need to spend much time with me at all...

NotCarrie said...

Yeah, I've never really felt like I mean that much to someone that they just want to be around me. Ahh well...someday.


And actually, the song NotMiranda and I are CURRENTLY obsessed with is another Howie Day song. He's so good, I love him.