Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Gaydar

I have had a lot of gay men in my life, and for a period of time, that was all that I hung out with. Now, I once again find myself surrounded by increasing numbers of gay men as our local Queen Keeper (NotCharlotte) continues to pick up a number of surrogate boyfriends. The problem is that in this day and age I have found it increasingly difficult to distinguish between a gay man and an evolved metrosexual. Why is this even important? Aren't we all just people? We are (just people), but as a single woman, I don't have time to waste on falling for, stalking or becoming intimately interested in a gay man. I have had this problem before, and trust me, I "changed" no one. This leads me back to my original problem. How do we tell the difference in these modern times and not get burned? Also, do we risk labeling a sensitive straight man simply because he doesn't fit into society's typical "man" mold?

3 comments:

NotCharlotte said...

It's sooo hard to determine if certain men are gay or not... I mean what about NotGay for example? NotHusband, as well as most other people, thought he was gay until my NotBetrothed said "no, he's not GAY, he's Theater STraight."
which puts yet another category in this weird-ass situation.

I know for certain he's not gay. 100%...
But i don't want to talk about it.

NotCarrie said...

You know, I've never had "gaydar"...I'm not sure if it doesn't occur to me to think someone is homosexual or if I don't even think about their sexual preference at all. And I haven't lived a sheltered life where I haven't had gay friends. It's weird though because often someone says, "He is gay" and I have no idea. It surprises me because I consider myself to be a pretty perseptive person...hmm.

NotCarrie said...

100%, eh?