Thursday, June 16, 2005

My Boyfriend

To quote Green Day, I'm a walking contradiction. I'm a hopeless romantic who strives to avoid dating/relationship cliches. One thing that has always bothered me is the labeling of relationships. To name a few:
Talking (sends shudders down my spine, I loathe this term)
Dating
Courting (old fashioned but this is one I'd love to bring back)
Boyfriend/Girlfriend
Etc.


These type of labels require a DTR talk or, Define The Relationship for those not acronym friendly. The DTR is something I have always tried to avoid. Not only because of the blushing that would ensue but because I have been around so many people (mostly girls) who seem like they have to name what it is they have with a guy and it just comes across as fake. It's like when people tell a story and say, "My boyfriend..." multiple times-is it really necessary to call him your boyfriend? Or when you are first getting to know someone and it's called "Talking"-Why does casual conversation with a person of the opposite sex have to be called something?

But I digress...The point of this blog is to say that I really, really, really want to say "My boyfriend" and it's kind of bothering me that I've had this change of heart. I am blaming it on my age and the more mature feeling I carry around with me now. It now longer seems so trivial (not my first choice of words) to say something like, "My boyfriend" or "We're dating."


Note: I will never, ever say "We're talking."

2 comments:

NotMiranda said...

I agree that some people abuse labeling and get label-obsessive. However, given how rampant miscommunication runs in our society, I think talking (i.e., having a conversation...not the word you hate) about where something is going (once...not ad nauseum) with someone who is important to you is important. It makes sure you're on the same page (or are at least pretending to be). Labeling in and of itself...hmmm. I'm ok with it for a couple of different reasons:

(1) Clarity...it lets me know someone I may be interested in is seeing someone and is not really available.

(2) It lets someone know they mean something special to you. Now...you could make up your own term here. Get original.

I want to comment more but have to leave : )

NotCarrie said...

And you know, I agree with you. I really think this has to do with the fact that I'm mid twenties now. Not in high school where I think all relationships are semi-cheesy/stupid and college which isn't much better.