Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Falling...

Alicia Keys said it best when she sang, "I keep on fallin' in and out of love with you." But have you ever wondered why they call it 'falling' in love when it can make you feel so high? Perhaps it's that feeling of inevitability that your being sucked deep down into that person. Or maybe it's that feeling that you've just stepped off a cliff. Whatever the reason, people seem to be falling all around me at alarming rates. I'm amazed, too, at how quickly people go from being just friends to having to ask permission for doing something and having their style dictated to them. I started pondering this after having a drink last night with NotPrince and NotPagan. I found myself wondering how two very atypical people devolved quickly into such a seemingly average relationship. In a matter of days, it appears that NotPrince has gone from full-frontal attitude assault to checking in with NotPagan about what he can and cannot do. And NotPagan, who I never would have considered a girly-girl, is already looking for stylists to makeover NotPrince's hair. I think I began pondering all of this a couple of days ago when a goth-type chick, who was recently engaged, came to my register to purchase a couple of typical bridal magazines and a very quaint wedding planner. I am no way saying this is a bad thing. I just find it curious how quickly and readily people move toward the norm.

1 comment:

NotCarrie said...

I too was observing NotPrince and NotPagan last night. They both seem so "out of the norm," you're right...so it surprises me that they do normal things like hold hands.

The asking permission thing gets on my nerves, maybe a post subject for the future.