Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Is settling down really selling out?

I'm turning 30 soon, and NotCarrie and I were discussing what this birthday means to me. Negative? Positive? I think 30 will be fabulous. I'm content with where I am in my life and my general accomplishments. Do I have some growing up to do? Some issues to work through? Yes, and I am ok with that. As is sometimes the case, our conversation drifted toward men and relationships. I talked with her about how I've always "known" I would be one of those people who got married late in life but also how I would have liked to have been in a serious relationship as I pass into a new decade. Having not been in a serious relationship for quite some time you do find yourself questioning what's so different about you? Why can't I find some good enough and who thinks I'm good enough, too? One thing I do know is that, no matter how frustrated I get sometimes, I can't settle. I can't be one of those women who takes the first thing that comes along or who just wants TO BE MARRIED. So, as I stumble through these last few days as a 29 year old, I am going to not settle. I am, however, going to tell that cowboy how I feel about him. That's not settling...that's just smart.

5 comments:

NewYorkMoments said...

Great blog! And you're exactly right...NEVER settle.

NotCarrie said...

Yeah I'd rather be a lonely old woman with 15 cats then to have settled...ok well, I'll never have 15 cats.

Mike said...

Ha neve settle! You'd end up in the situation I was in.....married and divorced by 25. I may sound bitter but marriage can be quite over rated.....at least if you don;t find the right person. Better to not be married and happy then to be married and walked out on....trust me that pain, frustration, and hurt is far worse then anything you can be feeling. Just keep that head up high...you'll me Mr. Right when it is right!

NotCharlotte said...

Well you already took the first step this evening.

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU NOTMIRANDA!!


:-D

Dawn said...

Just recently found this blog and am eagerly gobbling up the archives, hence the comment on an old post! Anyway, as a single 30 year old, I can relate to this post (and a lot of your posts, truth be told). I often wonder what is so different about me and why it seems so easy for other people. I can only hope that the payoff for how long I'll have to wait will be huge (and worth it!)