Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Are The Movies Ruining My Outlook On Love?

I am currently watching the deleted scenes of The Notebook because I can not get enough of romantic movies. Noah has just kissed Ali on the piano and I can't help but wish this type of thing happened in real life. But are fictional scenes in movies and TV ruining my outlook on what occurs in real life?

Ninth grade and My So-Called Life, the show that I was literally obsessed with and have remained a loyal fan of to this day. I wanted to BE Angela and dye my hair red and end up making out with Jordan Catalano in the Boiler Room and most importantly, have him grab my hand as we walked down the hallway. But high school does not have Jordan Catalanos, in fact high school is 99% Brian Krakows and 15 year olds don't want Brian.

Romeo and Juliet (new one with hot Leonardo Dicaprio) made me want someone to sneak into my room and speak in iambic pentameter. I wanted to grow my hair long and wear it like she did, buy angel wings and throw a costume party in hopes that a "bad boy" would make an appearance and fall in love with me.

Dawson's Creek and Friends are excellent examples of friends falling in love and it being a bond that lasts forever. I want a Pacey and I want a Ross. Heck, I even want a Chandler! I also want Monica's hair, it's so shiny and dark.

And more currently I have been watching Sex and the City and The O.C., two shows that integrate love, romance and drama. While there certainly is far less sex happening than on SATC (hey it's NO Sex and the City, right?) I think that show gives a positive outlook on being single and having great frinds. The O.C. is a little overdone but it's a FOX drama so I would expect nothing less. And who doesn't love Summer (her awesome style) and Seth and the fact that they are meant to be together despite originally being so different?


And so, from this trip around Tivo and memory lane I should be more focused on reality and things that actually happen in "real" life. But you know what? They don't call it hopeless romantic for nothing and I am going to continue wishing for inspiring moments in my life. Besides, really what links these shows together is good hair I think. So maybe I'll focus on that and let the rest fall into place.

7 comments:

NotMiranda said...

I really like this post. It made me less mad at you and less like you'd slapped me last night.

Anonymous said...

!!!! I felt the exact same way about My So-Called Life, right down to the wanting Jordan Catalano to grab my hand while walking through the halls (while Buffalo Tom plays in the background, omg, what a great scene!).
Also loved Romeo & Juliet, had a looong Leo DiCaprio obsession phase (I had a small but tastefull shrine to him in my bedroom, i think I also had one for Jared Leto, but that phase was much shorter). Ahhhh, the ridiculously unattainable but oh-so-fun crushes of jr. high and high school!!
~ARC

NotCarrie said...

I own that Buffalo Tom album.

"IIIII, I close my door at nightttt...."

"If I could put themmmm in a jar..."


I don't email slap, NotMiranda, I bitch slap so you'd know it;)

NotMiranda said...

I kick and bite, so don't eff with me : )

Wait...I don't mean that in any way to be connected to my last post (not comment). We're talking two different kinds of fighting here.

Anonymous said...

I have that Buffalo Tom album too! And the one that came out after it! I was seriously obsessed with that band for a long time because of MSCL.
I'm going to have to get it out again, you're making me all nostalgic.
~ARC

NotCarrie said...

I own the MSCL series. I'll bring it when I visit

Anonymous said...

OMG MSCL DVDS!!!
VISIT SOON!
~ARC