Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Power & unattainability

I got a telling lesson the other day in the power of playing it cool. In my job as sex spy numero uno, I was doing the delicate dance of arranging another interview with NotBob. When he began to question me extensively, I gave him a brief response and told him not to worry about it. "I already have enough interviews anyway." Well, this little rejection certainly got his attention. By letting him know that he wasn't needed, I increased his interest in doing it ten-fold. Not only did he email back immediately (a rarity) saying he was definitely in, he called me within minutes to arrange a time and profess his excitement. He was positively giddy. ...and I felt positively powerful. Intice man...reject man...have man eating out of hand? Not sure I by this scenario, but it is intriguing. Perhaps something to explore in future interviews (I have 2 scheduled for this evening.)

No comments: