Monday, March 14, 2005

the power of being a girl?

I have more fun working with men. It's a fact. I have most of the men that stand behind the cashier area at my job wrapped around my finger. I didn't quite have this realization until last weekend. Since each of them started, they were trained to ring a bell twice, Pavlov-dog style, for the head cashier (me and/or NotMiranda). I decided that this was not "politicaly-correct" and quite rude, not only for employees but customers as well, seeing as how it's so loud. So i figured we both would carry a phone in hopes that they would dial our specific number to politely tell us what they needed from us.
I knew this would be hard, considering we have a lot of employees.

I told 3 of my favorite guys this on friday, how we were going to try it.
I didn't hear a bell once from them this weekend. each time they needed me, i received a nice, quiet ring on the phone attached to my pocket. i promptly answered each response with a funny comment and took care of the customer/employee in a timely matter.
I informed my manager of this and she simply said "it's because you smile and charm them. They'd do anything for you."
it never dawned on me that perhaps that was the case? i don't want to sound full of myself, but it could be true. am i charming? do i really have that power? coming from a girl who really never dated until her senior year of high school for fear of rejection, this is a big step in my life.
Considering some of the things that happened over the weekend, i have found that i do have in myself quite a bit more confidence that i never knew i posessed.
i just wish i knew how to capitalize on it...

No comments: