Saturday, October 22, 2005

Guardian Angel

Last night I got a lot of checkmarks down.
I had a date. (check)
With a guy from myspace. (check)
That I had never met before. (check)

NotGerman. He and I apparently know some of the same people from Germany, so there was an instant bond.
Not to say I wasn't nervous about meeting him. NotMiranda had to talk me into it about 5 times. I kid you not.
But I pulled up the courage and picked him up at the metro (after NotMiranda's suggestion that I do not, under any circumstances, pick him up at his house) and after he got in the car I started to feel better.
He smelled really, really good.
So we went to a movie. He paid for everything, which I normally have a problem with, so I argued with him about it but he just wouldn't let me pay. Hmph.
So we watched the movie and I think he was a bit disappointed that I was so into it because he kept inching closer but I'd kind of ignore it.
This is for several reasons:
1. We were watching Elizabethtown. I absolutely LOVE Cameron Crowe.
2. It was our first date. No moves on the first date, especially since I had never met him.
3. I'm sorry to say, but I'm just not that into him.

I didn't realize this last part until I was driving him back to the metro. He invited me out to this party in the city, but before I knew it, my mouth was making up the ol' "I'm tired, busy day tomorrow" excuse.
He was just too damn nice. And he agreed with EVERYTHING I said. There was no space for arguement, which is a big part of my Italian heritage.

After I dropped him off, I called NotMiranda, who I then found out was in the exact same movie as we were, as well as in the same bathroom at the same time I was, in the stall near mine and we both were texting each other at the same time. How weird.
So I saved her from drowning outside in the rain and we drove around the city trying to find Al Gore's house and talking about relationships.
NotGerman could be a perfect candidate, we decided, however he would only be the "substitute" person until the right one came along.
So the problem is now, what to do about him. We also discussed the fact that although no sparks were felt on the first date, perhaps it's something that grows in time.
Thing is, I'm not sure if I want that.
This is too tough a decision to make right now. And I think I'm only skimming the surface of my delusional mind. I should just be happy that I had a freaking DATE! :-)

7 comments:

NotCarrie said...

The questions is...would you kiss him?

NotMiranda said...

You know...unless someone was completely unappealing, I might be willing to risk a kiss. Maybe that should be our new mantra. Instead of 'Just do it', we could have 'Just kiss'.

NotCarrie said...

This brings up an interesting thought: Are people considered kissing sluts if they kiss too much? or too many people? or too easily?

NotMiranda said...

That's actually a really tough question. I would say no but would then get very jealous of a girl kissing a beau of mine. Hmmm. Europeans aren't considered kissing sluts. I suppose we would have to define kiss. Cheek? Lip? Is feeling allowed to go into it?

NotCharlotte said...

Well, I would kiss him just to try it. The hug he gave me was pretty nice...
Kissing on the cheek doesn't count. Europeans are so totally secure with their sexuality that they connect a kiss on the cheek with a personalized greeting... not much thought goes into it.

NotCarrie said...

I wish we kissed on the cheek in America...But it's a hard thing to try to get started.

NotCharlotte said...

That was always one of my favorite things about Italians... they had no concept of "personal space" and even if they had just met you they had to get their lips on your cheeks.
Over here, you're more likely to get smacked unless you really know the person.
It would be a good way to meet men though... "Let's do it like the Italians do"